What is a 55+ Community?
Oftentimes when people think of retirement communities, they will think of it as a place where “old” people live, and it won’t be any fun, but in reality, the opposite is true. There are now things like 55+ communities or “active adult communities,” and resident(s) must be at least 55 years old.
These communities often get built near shopping plazas, restaurants, and even parks, allowing residents endless fun rather than sitting and watching tv all day.
In addition to nearby activities in town, there are often amenities that are provided on the property.
Pros and Cons of a 55+ Community
There are many benefits as to why you should consider moving into a 55+ community, but here are just a few!
Say Goodbye To Maintenance
Not only does maintaining your home cost money, but it takes time and energy. Then when you add in snow-blowing (if you get snow), moving your lawn, painting, organizing your belongings, and keeping your yard looking good, a lot goes into owning a home. When you relocate to a retirement community, that can reduce the cost and time, or you can ditch everything when it comes to maintenance, depending on your HOA.
As we mentioned above, depending on the active adult community you decide to join, there will be plenty of amenities ranging from pickleball, gyms, pools, hiking trails, spas, clubs, and social events.
Make New Memories & Friends
As you get to know your neighbors, it allows you to build lifelong friendships. It can be emotionally draining to start fresh in a new space because you’re leaving behind your old life for new adventures, so making new friends can help you feel less alone.
Regardless of your age, staying active is essential for everyone. When you live in a senior community, one day you might go swimming, and then the next you could be playing golf. Whatever activities you enjoy doing to pass the time, you’ll find something you’ll love.
Even though 55+ communities have plenty of benefits and advantages, we understand that they might not be for everyone, so here are a few cons to consider before making a move.
55+ communities often have a lifestyle about them. There are constantly things to do, but that don’t come for free. To help pay for the activities, there will often be a monthly HOA fee. Even when you pay off your house, you will still have an HOA fee to pay.
We recommend organizing your belongings beforehand, especially if you’re going from a large home into a smaller place because if you don’t, you can get stressed throughout the process.
The Villages Golf & Country Club | 55+ Silicon Valley Retirement Community
- Amenities: There are hiking trails, woodworking shops, fitness centers, an equestrian center, pool hall, golfing, swimming pools & spas, tennis courts, libraries, and even a community garden. Whatever activity you like to participate in, you will have plenty of options to stay active throughout the day.
Located in the breathtaking Evergreen foothills in San Jose, CA, The Villages Golf and Country Club is a perfect 55+ “leisure living community.” Depending on your preference for home styles, you have options between condos, villas, and individual homes ranging from $375,000 to $900,000.
Mill Pond | Upscale Mobile Home Community
- Amenities: In the New England-style clubhouse, you will have access to the following: meeting room, coffee room, area to play cards, billiard room, library, swimming pool & spa, BBQ area, and tennis court. Then there is an option to store your RV if you have one.
Millpond is an upscale neighborhood that has everything you’d need to need. There are two sections: Millpond I (309 mobile homes) and Millpond II (52 mobile homes), and regardless of the section you reside in, you’ll have the same type of amenities available.
Millpond is close to the local train station that runs to downtown San Jose where there are plenty of shops like mom and pop, boutiques, and big brand stores to check out.
Mill Pond, 2320 Canoas Garden Ave, San Jose, CA 95125, (408) 267-9790
Summercrest Villas | Affordable 55+ Community
- Amenities: The community amenities include a clubhouse, fitness center, courtyard, laundry facilities, on-site parking, and computer lab.
If you had to describe Summercrest Villas in two words, it would be: thriving and vibrant. In this 55+ senior community, there are only one-bedroom apartments available priced at $1,465-$1,768 per month, but they are comfortable and well-kept. You should know that this community does not allow pets.
Summercrest Villas, 1725 Almaden Rd, San Jose, CA 95125, (408) 264-2900
Redwood Senior Apartments | All-Inclusive Price
- Amenities: You will be able to enjoy their resident activities, redwoods outdoor courtyard, library, game room, and garden while taking advantage of their on-site laundry facility, reserved parking, and easy access to public transportation options.
The beauty of the Redwood Senior Apartments community is that it’s a great option for people who are 55 or older because they have an all-inclusive pricing style that requires no application or community fee. You will choose between a 1 or 2-bedroom apartment, and there are some wheel-chair-friendly apartments as well, so make sure to ask about that option if you need it.
Buena Vista Midtown | Low-Income Apartment
- Amenities: You will have access to the community room that has a kitchen, state-of-the-art gym, on-site laundry facility, and parking garage.
This smoke-free, pet-friendly 55+ senior community has a 4-story building with a combination of 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom apartment options that you can choose from based on your needs. The area is safe and secure and has security cameras throughout the property.
The pricing will vary based on the type of apartment you get, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $865-$1,470 per month. There are 95 total apartments, and each month the vacancy status will be updated on the website. But you can also contact them directly to see if there are currently any vacancies.
Buena Vista Midtown, 1535 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126, (408) 380-4087
Japantown Senior Apartments | Low-Income Senior Community
- Amenities: When you live here, you will enjoy the amenities of an on-site manager, community room, computer lab with free wifi, on-site laundry room, an outdoor exercise area, gardening beds, and even receive a free annual transit pass.
Housing can be expensive, and if you are on a tight budget, it can be stressful trying to find a senior community that you can afford. To help lessen the load, Japantown Senior Apartments has created an affordable housing option for those in need. Out of the 75 units, there are 10 units set aside as wheel-chair accessible options.
The apartments also have green products to help protect the environment like energy-efficient appliances and water-conserving fixtures.
Japantown Senior Apartments, 685 N 6th St, San Jose, CA 95112, (408) 573-7924
Moss Creek | Low-Income Senior Community
- Amenities: Enjoy the amenities like spending the day in the clubhouse, the meeting hall, billiard room, card area, swimming pool, garden, and even a community kitchen area.
Since 1977, this charming senior community has been open for business and providing a safe and secure space for 55+ residents to call home. There are 107 mobile home spaces and beautiful landscaping throughout the property.
Moss Creek, 2929 Aborn Sq, San Jose, CA 95121, (408) 274-5600
San Jose 55+ Communities Map
Here is a map with the top 8 beautiful 55+ communities in San Jose, CA, you should consider living in.
Questions To Consider Before Moving
Before you make your final decision, consider answering these questions to help ensure you’re moving into the best community for your needs!
- What is the price of the community in relation to my retirement income?
- Do I want to buy or rent the home?
- Is the community pet friendly?
- What is the climate throughout the year?
- Does the communities have the amenities that I want?
- Do I want to live near family? If so, is the community close enough to see them regularly?
- How much is the HOA each month?
If you need a mover, don’t hesitate to reach out! AMS Relocation is an award-winning and professional moving company here to help make this transition smooth. We have been in business since 1949 and have served over 250,000 customers, and we’d love to add you to the endless list of happy customers. Call us at 650-000-0000 to learn more!