Ready to settle down and enjoy a slower pace of life as you explore new interests, hobbies, and recreation? The City by the Bay may not be a traditional retirement destination, but it’s a great place for retirees with excellent public transportation, walkable neighborhoods, and endless parks and cultural attractions. You’ll find plenty of 55+ communities in San Francisco that give you the comfort and quality of life you’re looking for including full-service amenities, resort-style pools, chef-prepared meals delivered to your door, and planned social activities.
Here are the eight best retirement communities in San Francisco to consider for spending your golden years in the Golden City.
What Is a 55+ Community?
55 plus communities are neighborhoods or buildings designed for active adults. Also known as active adult communities and retirement communities, most are age-restricted and only allow residents who are 55+ or 60+ to move in.
Many retirement communities in San Francisco offer independent living or the typical retirement village experience as well as assisted living and skilled nursing care. These properties are known as continuing care retirement communities (CCRC) and they’re a great option if you want peace of mind and the ability to age in place if your healthcare needs and abilities change down the road.
Benefits of Living in a Retirement Community in San Francisco
Not sure if active adult communities in San Francisco are right for you? Here’s what you may love about retirement village living:
- Close to entertainment, dining, medical facilities, and other attractions
- Sense of community
- Maintenance-free living
- Age restrictions make it easier to make friends, socialize, and get to know neighbors
- Community events, social clubs, and planned activities and excursions make it easy to explore, make friends, and stay social
- Amenities that make life easier like housekeeping, on-site chef-prepared meals, and on-site fitness centers and group classes
San Francisco Towers – Upscale San Francisco Active Retirement Community with Continuing Care Options
San Francisco Towers is a Covia continuing care retirement community in San Francisco. As a CCRC, you can enjoy upscale independent living but transition to assisted living or skilled nursing if needed later in life without leaving your community.
San Francisco Towers is centrally located in Pacific Heights near Nob Hill, you’ll find it easy to enjoy shopping, dining, and cultural attractions in your neighborhood. Attend classes at the University of San Francisco’s Fromm Institute for Lifelong Learning, enjoy warm days at Lafayette Park, and more within walking distance, using public transportation, or the community’s shuttle service.
There’s also plenty to do without leaving home. Explore the social calendar with happy hours, concerts, movie nights, wellness programs, fitness programs, and special interest clubs. There’s literally always something planned! You’ll also enjoy world-class amenities like the rooftop lounge and gardens, a fitness center, library, and indoor pool with views.
View this post on Instagram
You don’t even need to leave San Francisco Towers for amazing dining. Have gourmet meals delivered to your door, stop at the café for a bite, or enjoy the formal dining room. Chefs create seasonal menus with local ingredients and there are special dining events and cooking classes! See a sample menu here.
At San Francisco Towers, you can enjoy comfortable living and the amenities of one of the best 55+ retirement communities in San Francisco and rest easy knowing you don’t need to leave your new home if your healthcare needs change in the future.
There are two pricing options:
- Classic Agreement includes independent living and amenities with a monthly fee that changes as your healthcare needs change if you move to a different level of care. You’ll also receive discounted healthcare as needed.
- Lifetime Agreement has an unchanging monthly fee for healthcare, amenities, and services and priority access to a higher level of care if needed. The monthly fee is the same for independent living, assisted living, and skilled nursing.
The entrance fee for San Francisco Towers starts at $145,000 with monthly fees starting at $4,200.
- Address: 1661 Pine St, San Francisco, CA 94109 (415) 776-0500
- Amenities: Continuing care options, daily planned social activities and events, rooftop gardens and lounge, fitness center, indoor pool, library
Bethany Center – Affordable Retirement Community in San Francisco’s Mission District
Bethany Center is a Covia community with affordable senior living in San Francisco. This retirement community for older adults with financial limitations offers planned activities and excursions with a Resident Service Coordinator who helps with transportation, arranging medical care, assisting with benefits, and more.
The Bethany Center is located in the Mission District near Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and the Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation just blocks from BART. It’s one of the most desirable gated retirement communities in San Francisco walking distance to restaurants. It’s in the same complex as Ruth’s Table, a nonprofit arts organization for disabled adults and seniors with weekly arts programs and exhibitions.
Rent for one- and two-bedroom apartments at the Bethany Center is based on your monthly income. This HUD-subsidized active adult community has rent equal to 30% of your adjusted monthly income with utilities included. There’s a wait list for Bethany Center that is usually full, but they often have Market Rate apartments available.
- Address: 580 Capp St, San Francisco, CA 94110 (415) 821-4515
- Amenities: HUD-subsidized rent capped at 30% of adjusted income with included utilities, gated community, planned social activities and excursions, and Resident Service Coordinator
The Sequoias San Francisco – San Francisco 55+ Community in Japantown with Downtown Views & Upscale Amenities
The Sequoias is one of the most beautiful and exciting San Francisco continuing care retirement communities. The ideally located community offers comfortable independent living with world-class amenities and rest easy knowing you can remain in your new community if you ever need assisted living or skilled nursing care.
View this post on Instagram
Enjoy breathtaking views of downtown San Francisco from your renovated studio, one-, or two-bedroom apartment with housekeeping, chef-prepared meals, an on-site medical clinic, hobby spaces, and social activities.
The Sequoias is also one of the best 55 and older communities in San Francisco if you’re looking for a neighborhood you’ve love exploring. It’s one of the city’s most walkable neighborhoods with a 96/100 Walkscore!
- Address: 1400 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94109 (415) 922-9700
- Amenities: Studio, one-, and two-bedroom apartments; chef-prepared meals with patio dining, table service, and dining room buffets; 24-hour on-site security; housekeeping; continuing care options; arts and crafts room with space for hobbies like woodworking; library; billiards room; on-site medical clinic; full-service beauty salon and barber shop; landscaped grounds and gardens; pet-friendly with a dog park; guest suites; walkable neighborhood
Cypress at Golden Gate – Beautiful San Francisco 55 Plus Community Blocks from Golden Gate Park
Cypress at Golden Gate offers retirement living at its finest. It’s one of the most desirable San Francisco over 55 communities with historic architecture and just 5 blocks from Golden Gate Park. Residents enjoy private balconies or patios with a brick courtyard and tons of amenities. For your peace of mind, Cypress also offers assisted living and memory care services if they’re ever needed.
With Dine Your Way, you’ll enjoy fresh meals daily at the on-site restaurant. Take group classes at the fitness center then enjoy hobbies in the art room or a game of cards in the library. The building is pet-friendly with thoughtfully designed apartments.
- Address: 1601 19th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94122 (415) 952-8854
- Amenities: Studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments, Full-service beauty salon and barber, pet-friendly, library, arts room, corner store, tech center, media room, fitness center, landscaped courtyards and gardens, fitness center with group classes, on-site restaurant, 5 blocks from Golden Gate Park
Heritage on the Marina – Waterfront Life Plan Retirement Community in San Francisco with Independent Living Apartments
Love the picturesque Marina district? You’ll fall in love with Heritage on the Marina, one of the most desirable 55+ communities in San Francisco. Residents usually join at the Residential Living level with independent living apartments that include laundry and housekeeping. Choose from a classic or deluxe studio or a one- or two-bedroom apartment and get ready to enjoy your golden years in style.
Heritage on the Marina also has three additional 55+ active adult communities in the area that also include full-service amenities and 30 meals per month.
There’s an entrance fee and monthly service fee based on the contract type (such as Continuing Care Contract) and apartment size.
- Address: 3400 Laguna St, San Francisco, CA 94123 (415) 202-0300
- Amenities: Studio, one-, and two-bedroom apartments, waterfront location, housekeeping, fitness center, dining room, lounge areas, art studio, library, private gardens, beauty salon, planned social events
The Carlisle – Sophisticated Boutique Active Adult Community in San Francisco on Cathedral Hill with Concierge Service & Gourmet Meals
The Carlisle is an urban high-rise over 55 retirement village in San Francisco close to the Civic Center, Japantown, and Fisherman’s Wharf. Enjoy all the attractions of the city at your fingertips with a spacious apartment and the ability to age in place with assisted living services available.
The Carlisle is set up as a boutique hotel with concierge services, housekeeping, chauffeured transportation, and gourmet dining.
- Address: 1450 Post St, San Francisco, CA 94109 (415) 929-0200
- Amenities: 24-hour concierge services, chauffeured transportation within 5 miles, housekeeping and laundry, gourmet dining program, planned social activities, special interest groups, beauty salon, outdoor terrace and gardens, arts room, bar and bistro, wine room with tastings, theater, fitness center, secure underground parking, age-in-place with assisted living options
The Peninsula Regent – Condo Retirement Community Near San Francisco With No Entrance Fees
Located in San Mateo, the Peninsula Regent is an age-restricted condo community for active adults 60 and older. Unlike most San Francisco retirement communities, the Peninsula doesn’t have entrance fees. Instead, you actually buy and own your condo in the development. Each condo features high ceilings and private balconies with average prices ranging from $325,000 to $1.2 million.
The Peninsula Regent has a cross-shaped design that makes every amenity easy to access from the indoor pool to the library and rose garden. Stop by the fitness center for group classes and fitness trainers then relax in the pool and sauna. Enjoy onsite dining with three meals per day: grab a meal to go, order room service, have a quick bite in the bistro, or take part in fine dining.
Stay busy with plenty of amenities that support a fun and active retirement. There’s a packed social calendar with activities and programs plus special interest social groups. There are also off-site excursions like wine tasting, the symphony, theaters, and museums. The Peninsula Regent’s location is another perk that makes it one of the best 55+ communities in San Francisco Bay. You’re in walkable downtown San Mateo and just 30 minutes from San Francisco and 10 minutes from Burlingame.
- Address: 1 Baldwin Ave, San Mateo, CA 94401 (650) 579-5500
- Amenities: Age-restricted, 207 one- and two-bedroom condos for purchase, no entrance fees, penthouse guest suites for visitors, concierge services, weekly housekeeping, scheduled transportation, courtyards, indoor pool and spa with water-based fitness, fitness center, personal trainers, library with fireplace, game room, penthouse auditorium, art room, on-site dining options, pet friendly, scheduled social activities and excursions.
The Villa at San Mateo – Pet-Friendly Age-Restricted 55+ Apartments Near San Francisco
The Villa at San Mateo is one of the most popular 55 and older communities in San Francisco Bay. Located right next to several hospitals and senior centers, the community is within walking distance of Hillsdale Mall and CalTrain.
The property has one- and two-bedroom apartments in an age-restricted community with a range of amenities that make it easy to enjoy an active lifestyle.
- Address: 4000 S El Camino Real, San Mateo, CA 94403 (650) 212-4400
- Amenities: One- and two-bedroom apartments, pet friendly, library, heated outdoor pool with BBQ area, movie longue, fitness center, game room, schedule social activities
Map of San Francisco 55+ Retirement Communities
Whether you’re looking for affordable retirement villages in San Francisco or you want a luxury 55+ community with full-service amenities, you’ll find plenty of great options! Once you’re ready to settle into your new home and take advantage of everything retirement has to offer, give us a call at AMS Relocation. Our full-service San Francisco movers will help you settle into your new home, unpack, and arrange your furniture!